Sunday, July 18, 2010

Typical Wrestling Diet

This is what I ate during my senior season of wrestling as best as I can recall.

Breakfast:

I would have one of the following:

Oatmeal - 1 cup of plain cooked unsweetened oatmeal or maybe with a tablespoon of raisins occasionally

Cereal - Occasionally I would combine one cup of Special K and one cup of Wheaties and eat it dry. Sometimes I would have half a cup of milk on cereal but usually not. I made the mistake of trying to eat cereal with water once. Either eat it plain or with milk. Trust me.

Poached Eggs - occasionally, although I don't remember for sure (they are very low in calories and high in protein so if I didn't then I should have every now and then

Plain waffles or pancakes (doesn't sound too good, huh?)

Lunch:

Consisted of a combination of any of the following:

Rice Cakes (not a taste treat but very low in calories)
Cheese slices (on the rice cakes)
Apples (low in calories and filling)
Whole wheat bread
Peanut butter occasionally
Candy bar or Toast'em pastry (very rarely)
Water (I should have drank milk with lunch each day in retrospect)

Dinner:

The following might have been typical:

Fish square
Baked potato (plain, of course)
Green beans (sometimes mixed with a can of mushrooms)
Milk - occasionally
Ice cream (vanilla) - half a cup - occasionally

Snack:

Alba Snack Shake Mix (only 70 calories, although it does contain artificial sweeteners and cellulose gum, xantham gum, and guar gum because it's sugar free and basically fat free) - I really liked it though because it's hard to beat having a shake that's only 70 calories

I suppose that these days teenage athletes are into drinking whey protein shakes and other protein shakes.

Diet pop (almost every night after practice)- although too much consumption of artificial sweeteners I now realize isn't such a great idea

After weigh-in I might have:

Fig or Blueberry Newtons (just a few)
Then main meal of one or more of the following:
Pancakes
French toast
Omelet
Eggs and toast
Milk Shake (very rarely - that was more of a sophomore year thing although it's surprising how good a chocolate shake can taste around 7:30 am
Diet Pop and/or orange juice

If it was the day of a tournament then I might have something to eat in between meals such as the following:

Pop Tarts or Toast'ems
Jelly sandwiches on white bread

So, I guess apples, rice cakes, plain breads, plain cereals, potatoes, and green beans were my main foods.

I should have drank more milk and ate more fats (butter and peanut butter) and perhaps a bit more protein but I could really eat a lot of apples, green beans, and plain breads and cereals for very few calories which was very appealing at the time. But more protein and more fat might have meant having higher testosterone in my body and greater strength and power which is, of course, a good thing. Don't diet or cut weight because it's no fun and can be dangerous. But, if you do cut weight then cut back slowly and try to eat healthy and remember there are a lot of low calorie foods that are still high in nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment