Thursday, February 4, 2010

Humble Beginnings

I began wrestling for the first time in fifth grade. I think it may have started with intramurals which were organized by my gym teacher who was the high school basketball coach of all things. I guess he decided to be fair and have intramurals for both basketball and wrestling. I don't think the wrestling intramural lasted very long and I can't believe that gym teacher could have known much about the sport. I ended up getting pinned in a match and that was about the extent of intramurals.

I wrestled in my first competition during that fifth grade year. I believe it was the Decorah Jaycees Kid's Wrestling Tournament or something like that. Decorah is in northeast Iowa. I shudder to think about how I was dressed at that tournament. I had no singlet or wrestling shoes. I had on shorts, a tee shirt, and tennis shoes. I suppose I looked like a total nerd. I believe I was pinned in the first round. I won my second round match. And, I lost my third round match by a decision. I guess I placed 5th or 6th and got a green or purple ribbon. I told my dad about it when I got home and he said that didn't sound too bad. Thankfully, my dad wanted to encourage me. Even though I had only won one match I felt good about it. That one win was enough to make me believe I would get better and improve as time went on. One win was sweet enough to keep me motivated.

I believe I entered two tournaments during my sixth grade year. So, I wasn't exactly getting in a lot of competition. But, at least I was involved in the world of wrestling to some degree. I think that year I wrestled in the Decorah Jaycees tournament again and in the Bullpup Wrestling Tournament in Monona, Iowa. Bullpup wrestling? Cute, huh? Like the year before, I would lose first round and then win a match or two after that. I'm not sure what my skill level was back then. I knew hardly any moves at all. So, I guess I did well considering. I was always disappointed that I didn't win a trophy or a medal. I really wanted one of those trophies or medals. Who wants some green or purple ribbon?

I believe that during my sixth grade year some sort of wrestling clinic was held after school for about a week. I asked my mom if I could go to it and she said I could. Iwas surprised because we lived on a farm and she would ahve to drive into town and pick me up between chores. But, I guess my parents knew wrestling was important to me so I got to attend the clinic. I learned a few more skills at the clinic. Learning new techniques was kind of exciting. But, I was still only beginning to put things together at that point.

I continued with the shorts, tee shirt, and tennis shoes. Mom and Dad, what were you thinking? Dress your young wrestler accordingly.

My friend Chris and I always got a ride to the tournaments from his mom. My parents were busy farming. So, thank you Mrs. Enyart for hauling Chris and me to all of those kid's tournaments from fifth to eighth grade. Those kid's tournaments gave me my start. Who knew a champion was in the making? Actually, maybe I did deep down.

No comments:

Post a Comment