Saturday, February 6, 2010

Lars Wins Sectionals

Let it be known that on this day my nephew Lars Warth, representing South Winneshiek High School, became Sectional Wrestling Champion at 119 lbs. Wrestling is surely in the Schwinefus blood. My father was a wrestling champion. I was a wrestling champion. And now, my nephew Lars is a wrestling champion.

Lars is only a freshman but has wrestled all season on the varsity team.

I am so excited and happy right now. Way to go, Lars! I'm so proud of you.

Lars becoming Sectional Champion is an interesting story.

He received a bye first round. In the second round he faced a wrestler who had beaten him 11-0 the week before. But this time, Lars beat that same wrestler 14-4. Then in the final round, Lars pinned a senior who had a very good record. How can this be explained? Was Lars in a different frame of mind this time? Did he "peak" at the right time? There are a couple of lessons here. You never know what's going to happen for sure in a wrestling match. Anyone can be beaten on any given day. Betting against Cael Sanderson, John Smith or Dan Gable at the height of their careers would have been unwise. But, you never know. Lars really put it all together today.

I know his mother (my older sister) was cheering from the stands just like she used to cheer for me. I'm sure that she (and perhaps my father) were in tears when Lars won today.

I can remember standing at the top of the stand to receive my first place medal after winning Districts my senior season. Incredible! Now Lars is having that kind of experience.

Well Lars, I guess all of those years of wrestling in pee wee tournaments are paying off. Great job, nephew! Keep it up.

1 comment: