Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Letter Jacket

My father's high school letter jacket used to hang in the closet in my bedroom. As a youngster, every now and then I would take it out and try it on. The jacket was blue with gold sleeves and trim and had a "N" sewn on it for North High. The "N" had some medals from wrestling competitions sewn on it. I really liked trying on that cool jacket. I imagined that I too would have a letter jacket one day. My father had been a wrestler and I knew that I would be a wrestler too. I had absolutely no doubt of that.

Eventually, I did become a wrestler and I did earn my own letter jacket. My jacket was black with red sleeves and trim. My jacket had a red "P" on it for Postville High. I had my mother sew on almost all of the medals I won in high school. By my senior year, my jacket was drooping to one side under the weight of the medals. I look back now and feel a bit foolish. I could have easily lost those medals if they'd come undone. My jacket could have been misplaced or stolen. I walked around like a fool making a clanking sound from the medals hitting each other. But, I couldn't help it. I was so proud of being good at something and wanted to show the world. I thought people respected me in that letter jacket and I can't fault myself for having that hope and belief.

My father's high school letter jacket and some vague knowledge that my father had been a great wrestler are two of my first memories related to the sport of wrestling.

No comments:

Post a Comment